I grew up in the NYC area but hadn’t been back lately, so I was excited to take my in-laws on their first trip to the city the day after Thanksgiving.
Staying in the city with four people would have been pricey, so we decided to try the Hilton in Stamford, CT, which we snagged for only $90/night. It’s not too long a drive from Providence and it’s in walking distance from the train station, where you can catch a 50 minute express train to Grand Central Station.
We walked over 10 miles a day, all over Manhattan – the best way to sightsee.
Here are some of the places we went. It sounds like a lot of food for 2 days, but when it’s cold and you’re burning a thousand calories walking, you’d better stop for a snack or two.
Food & Drink
- Poutine and a smoked meat sandwich from Mile End Sandwich
- A good Belgian beer at The Burp Castle
- A pretzel and beer at the Hofbrau Bierhaus (trying to get out of the rain)
- Hot cocoa at La Maison de Chocolat
- A New York bagel (something I miss terribly) at Ess-A-Bagel
- Good espresso at Blue Bottle (in the Rockefeller Center concourse)
- Pastries at Bouchon Bakery
- Pizza at John’s of Bleeker St.
- A cheese snack at Murray’s Cheese Bar
- Late night snack at Milk & Cookies Bakery
Sightseeing with First Time Visitors
- Battery Park (for a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty)
- The Charging Bull statue
- Central park
- The MOMA (I was looking forward to the Brothers Quay exhibit)
- Times Square
- FAO Schwartz for our inner kids
- Rockefeller Center (tree up, but not lit yet)
- Holiday window displays at the department stores
- Union Square holiday market
- Top of the Empire State building at night