As I mentioned in my last post, I like experimenting with granola ingredients. My favorite lately has been chocolate and peanut butter – even more addictive than the classic honey granola I posted last time, and a great homemade gift for the holidays. You may want to adjust the sugar and salt depending on the type of peanut butter you use. I prefer Teddie Natural Chunky peanut butter, which is unsweetened but salted.
Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- 2 c oats (not quick)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c salted peanuts
- 1/3 c canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- 1/3 c honey
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, toss oats, salt, cocoa powder and peanuts.
- In a saucepan, heat oil, peanut butter, honey, brown sugar, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture bubbles a bit. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the oat mixture and stir until the oats are evenly coated.
- Spread oats onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and gently toss the granola (if you want chunkier granola, just run a spatula under the granola and gently rearrange). Turn off the oven and put the granola back in for up to an hour to dry, tossing once more along the way.
- When granola is cool, store in an airtight container.
- Now the hardest part: try not to eat it all.
Number of servings (yield): 12
3 thoughts on “Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola”
I just made my usual batch of granola, sat down, opened my computer and saw this recipe. Now I want to throw it all in the trash and make yours instead! Guess I’ll just have to wait until I get some cocoa in the house.
Just had it with yogurt for breakfast and it was delicious. When can you bring more (would make a great Christmas present, hint hint)…
@Moni, I will let Santa know! @carfreepvd normal granola has its place too – like, I don’t eat it as fast so it’s actually there when I need breakfast.