My in-laws visited last weekend and we crammed as much sun, ocean, and seafood as possible into four days. This is almost the perfect Rhode Island holiday weekend, so I had to share our itinierary.
- Sailing lesson in the morning (just J & I, it was our first)
- Wine tasting at Newport Vineyards
- Polo (our picnic of choice is antipasto from Federal Hill)
- Walk for an ice cream cone
- Beach day! First to Scarborough. Swam in the ocean.
- Lunch at Matunuk Oyster Bar
- More beach time at Matunuk beach.
- Eggs benedict at home
- Bike ride to the nation’s oldest 4th parade in Bristol (40mi round trip)
- A drink at the neighborhood bar
- Watched Providence fireworks from the comfort of our street
- Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast (a Rhode Island tradition, ha)
- Tennis at the Intl Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, a historic building with grass courts
- Lunch between matches at The Mooring, where we were drawn in by the seafood donuts on the menu. They were as good as they sounded – Bag of Doughnuts: Lobster, crab & shrimp fritters with chipotle-maple aïoli
Do you have a favorite Rhode Island (or local to you) 4th of July tradition?