Last night, I made a grit bowl for dinner with a poached egg. It was great, and so were the leftovers, which I took to work with an easily transported soft-boiled egg.
Recipe: Spicy Grit Bowl with Sweet Potatoes and Greens
Summary: A filling, nutritious vegetarian meal that’s full of flavor. This recipe will make approximately six servings but is easily adjusted.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 large head bok choy (or other greens)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce and 1 to 2 chilis (from the can)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 cups quick grits
- 6 cups water (or amount directed on package of grits)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 6 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Toss cubed potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and chili powder, and roast on a rimmed baking sheet for 30 minutes. While the potatoes are roasting, continue the with the rest of the preparation.
- Press the garlic cloves using a garlic press, or chop them finely.
- Wash and cut the bok choy into thin slices, keeping the green leaves separate from the stems on your cutting board.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic until it is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the bok choy stems to the skillet, occasionally stirring until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Then, add the leaves and continue stirring until they are wilted, about 5 more minutes. Set aside.
- Chop the adobo peppers finely. Stir the adobo sauce and chopped peppers into the mayo to taste.
- Cook the grits according to package instructions. In my case, I boiled 6 cups of water with 1/2 tsp salt and slowly added the grits, stirring. Then I reduced the heat, covered the pot, and cooked for 5 minutes.
- If using cheese, stir into the cooked grits. Season to taste.
- Poach or soft boil the eggs.
- To assemble, spoon a portion of grits into each bowl or lunch container. Top half of the grits with sweet potatoes and half with greens. Place the egg in the middle (you may want to clear an area for it first). Top the egg with a tablespoon of spicy mayo.
Preparation time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6