A family friend brought some Lebkuchen from the Munich Christmas market, and it reminded me how much I love the combination of flavors and the softness of a good cookie.
I based this recipe on the Gingerbread Energy Balls by Natalie’s Health, using homemade Lebkuchen spice mix (Lebkuchengewürz) from The Daring Gourmet and changing up the nuts to be more typical for Lebkuchen.
Recipe: Lebkuchen Energy Bites
- 5 large medjool dates, pitted and soaked if not moist (mine were fine without soaking)
- 1 heaping teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 c hazelnuts
- 1/3 c almonds
- 1/3 c walnuts
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tsp lebkuchen spice mix
- a pinch lemon zest and orange zest – I did not have any, but would recommend adding them
- Cacao Powder (optional)
- In a food processor, process all ingredients until the mixture easily comes together when pinched.
- Taste and add more spice mix if desired.
- Roll into balls.
- Optional – roll balls in cacao powder.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Sometimes with these date/nut energy balls, your mixture may come out too dry due to the dryness of the dates or nuts. These amounts worked for me, but if it’s too dry, you can add more dates.